Young Grower of the Year is an annual competition to find the best young fruit and vegetable growers in New Zealand.
Since 2007, Horticulture New Zealand has run the annual Young Grower of the Year competition. Young fruit and vegetable growers from around the country compete in regional heats, testing their horticultural skills and knowledge. The winners of the regional competitions then compete in the national final.
Young Grower pushes contestants out of their comfort zone and teaches them valuable new skills along the way. The competition provides exceptional professional development and networking opportunities, providing a massive career boost to all who enter.
Key Conditions of Entry:
- Must be currently working full time in the fruit or vegetable industry in an organisation that is closely associated with growing.
- Must be 30 years of age or under as at 31 December.
- Three years of practical work experience in the industry.
- Must be available to compete in the Young Horticulturist of the Year competition in November on winning the competition.
- Must be a New Zealand citizen or hold a current New Zealand residency permit.
Bay of Plenty: 18 February 2021
Pukekohe: 7 May 2021
Central Otago: 21 May 2021
Hawkes Bay: Competition: 3 June 2021 Awards dinner: 4 June 2021
Nelson: 2 July 2021
Gisborne: 2021 dates TBC
Finalist Training Day: 24 - 25 August 2021
National Finals: Wellington 22-23 September 2021
More details to be announced.
In 2021 Horticulture NZ is taking the National Final of Young Grower of the Year to the Capital.
With so much political activity and reform affecting the horticulture industry, it is a prime time to bring the Young Grower competition to within earshot of the Beehive. The national finals will put the regional finalists to the test. A series of business and practical modules will test their horticultural skills, business knowledge, leadership abilities, and oratory talents.
Spectators are welcome to attend the business and practical modules that will be held during the day. The Leadership Panel will be held at an evening Awards Dinner where the winner will be announced.
For more information visit younggrower.co.nz